When we first begin to work with a client, the first thing we check out is the foundational pieces. How would one define a foundational piece you ask? Well by our definition, these are the items in your closet that can go many places with you. You feel freaking phenomenal when you put them on and they fit you like a dream. All very important criteria, but especially the practicality of these pieces. Now PLEASE DO NOT CONFUSE PRACTICALITY FOR BORING. If you notice here each one of these pieces serves as a practical purpose in the closet and can go to many different occasions, even the white button up has details! OH! And lets not forget about the tee shirt that is the softest thing you will put on your body and Amour Vert plants a tree every time you purchase one of their tees.
Now how to shop these items in this crafty foundational collage… we numbered off the items and matched them below with a brief description for you to read and figure out if this is a gap in your wardrobe. If the answer is yes, MAJOR GAP, do not panic, go ahead and click that hyper link for more details on the garment. Of course these foundational choices were based on our client, but this is a pretty good feel for what most foundational wardrobes should consist of. XO
- No matter where you work, from conservative to free for all dress code, your clothes should not be boring. Even if you live for monochromatic style, neutrals can have details too! We love a simple sassy work blouse that has a lively print so no jewelry is required. Simply throw it on and go.
- A flirty dress should be able to be worn multiple ways. Back with booties, sneakers, flats, etc. It should be able to go to lunch with your grandparents but catch the eye of handsome gentleman. Light weight fabrics are better to catch the wind just write.
- Totally underestimated is the year round trench. It instantly elevates any work look, but throw it back with a white tee, denim and sneakers and boom you are officially the coolest girl around. Make sure the fabric is durable yet light weight. This will quickly become your travel mate! STYLE TIP: Belt your trench with a teddy under neath for a date night dress.
- How do you shop for denim? The first thing we say to our clients is turn around and let me see if that denim makes your booty smile! Pocket placement on the bum should make your booty appear higher, not wider. AKA do not get denim with pockets that are over flowing to the sides of your hips. Trust us, you start to really take the time to look you will know when your booty is smiling back at you.
- Classic Tee. Enough Said. Finding your perfect tee is similar to finding your perfect bra. It takes some trying on, but once you find it you will wear that baby to death. If it is in your budget we suggest buying multiples. The tee we linked is in 90% of our clients closets and we have not had to replace it for any of them. They are durable, yet last that long!
- A white blouse can become dangerously boring if you settle. Your white blouse should fit you to perfection and have some sort of detail that makes it feel like YOU. Normally we gravitate to our white blouses when we have something important we need to be polished for so the details what feel like you are great for confidence boosts.
- The word neutral in the term neutral bootie translates different for everyone. Look at your closet and see what color palette dominates. HINT: this is easier when your closet is color coded.
- Fashion sneakers have been having a major moment since the boom of athleisure. Not going to lie, we are totally embracing it. Now fashion sneakers tend to be pretty loud and not for everyone, but a cutie run around sneaker can pair back with most looks to bring a casual comfort to any occasion. The Superga is a AoS client favorite. Machine washable and ultra comfortable.
- Trust us. There will come a day when you simply CAN NOT wear a heel into the office. Or maybe that sounds like every day for you. An elevated flat should convey just as much elegance as a heel. Generally a pointed toe is best, but make your style choice personally and wisely.
- Statement jewelry does not have to be pricey, we love to shop for this category on travels. But it should transform an outfit. There is office appropriate and non office appropriate statement jewelry… hmmmm sounds like a good topic for a future blog post.
- We are of course fans of tops that take you multiple places, but there is just something special about having blouses that are date night specific. A bit more saucy or curve hugging than the usual daily wear. Something that you put it on your reaction should go something like, “damnnnnnnn (insert date name) is REAL lucky to be looking at this outfit all night!”
- In most, ok well now in 2018 it is about 50-50, but we do not believe in t-shirts in the office place. Now how do you get away with this when you are in a lounge mood and just really need some tactile kisses on your skin to get you through the work day? Well you put a flutter on it girl! Flutter Sleeve Tops are as easy to put on as they are cute, we strike that as a common theme of foundational pieces. Ease and comfort.
- We are MEGA fans of trousers. Being lucky number 13, we hope are still reading and learning, but the wear any-wear trouser ladies. There is just something about wearing a badass fitting trouser with really whatever you want on top. Fit is key here. Preferably hemmed back to a flat, so you can wear them with a sneaker or a flat. Also do not tell your grandmother it was Art of Style who told you this, but GOODBYE to the old rules of hemming. Shoe off a bad ass pump with your trousers that are hemmed for flats. Who cares. Have dope shoes, will rock them proudly.